I would often joke with colleagues about how much more powerful I become with each new Google Analytics account or floodlight tag. Now, after over a decade of analytics, heat mapping, multi-variant testing, and data-driven marketing strategies there’s only one conclusion to make. By the Power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWER.
As marketers, we try to harness our internal Don Draper instincts from our gut to create the next best campaign that will change the world. There’s nothing wrong with this but you can’t leave out the best sidekick in the business, analytics. Below are 5 superhero powers that most closely match the data-driven, conversion-focused work we do every day for our clients.
Xavier was able to read the minds of others within a 250 mile radius. With today’s leading analytics platforms, you can get into the minds of web site visitors all over the world. With the right experience, skills and data you can be aware of:
- Sentiment Analysis (Are people positive or negative about a topic?)
- Behavior (What path did a visitor take through your website?)
- Visitor recordings (Actually see every mouse click and form entry of a unique visitor. Creepy, I know.)
- Heatmaps (See where visitors hover their mouse before they click to know where opportunities and problems exist)
2. Telepathic Camouflage
This is a sub-set power of Telepathy which can make others see you as someone else by manipulating and controlling their minds.
Advanced web development in combination with analytics creates a very similar super power.
When we implement behavioral content triggering to deliver personalized content based on previous site activity, we are essentially manipulating dynamic web pages with the right message by reading the visitors’ minds, err, I mean cookies.
We don’t have to float in a pool of water like the precogs from Minority Report to be able to perceive the future. We do it every day when we deliver weekly action reports to our clients. In these action reports, we pay close attention to the trends and KPIs that quantify our objectives which enable us to deliver recommendation based on data-driven insights.
When a precog sleeps, they can not only predict the future but can also develop what is called a “danger sense” which can show the subject being threatened and what direction it is coming from. That’s directly in line with how we leverage routine competitive analysis to know what our client’s competitors are doing across multiple channels including SEM, SEO, Social and more. We like to sleep a lot too, so there’s also that.
4. Electrical Transportation
The ability to travel through electrical conduits and enter devices such as TVs, computers and mobile phones is not a very new concept to us at all these days. But it wasn’t that long ago when the well-intentioned Dr. Lawrence Angelo plugged Jobe into VR to improve his intelligence. This soon backfired and then he became omnipotent in the digital world.
Here’s just a few of the ways we travel through the fiber to bring our targeted audiences the right messaging at the right frequencies to deliver maximum ROI.
- Programmatic Media Buying
- Paid Search Marketing (SEM)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing
All of these tactics are led by the insights that we derive from our intelligence platform.
5. Time Travel
Great Scott! How could we forget this one? Unfortunately for Marty and Dr. Emmett Brown, it takes way more than 1.21 Gigawatts to power the servers that run our big data.
We jump into the DeLorean every day for our own business and clients for a trip to the past in order to learn from our data and provide actionable recommendations to inform ongoing and future campaigns. Here are just a few of the things we look for as we navigate past data.
- New vs. Returning Visitors (How well are we doing to bring people back to the site?)
- Engagement (How long do visitors stay and how many pages do they typical browse?)
- Demographics (What is the age, location and affinities of our visitors?)
- Conversion Rate by Segmentation (Which channels, visitors, behavior drive the highest conversions for your business?)